Dr. Wendelin Küpers
After working for several years in the business world Wendelin Küpers studied economics and business administration at the private University of Witten/Herdecke, Germany and philosophy at the Ruhr-University in Bochum, Germany. Having finalized his PhD. on a Phenomenology of Service Quality, he was working at the Institute for Leadership and Human Resource Management at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, where he also pursued a longer research project on ’demotivation in organizations.’ After that he worked as a Senior Lecturer and Senior Researcher affiliated to the Chair of Business Administration, Leadership, and Organization at the Open University of German in Hagen and taught continously at the University of St. Gallen and University of Innsbruck, Austria. Currently he is affiliated to the Department of Management and International Business, Massey University in Auckland, New Zealand.
In his research he focuses on Integral Leadership and organisation as well as emotional and aesthetic dimensions complemented by issues related to knowledge and learning in and about organizations. Being involved in advanced phenomenological research, he is developing an integral "pheno-practice," i.e. the practical relevance of an adequate phenomenology for questions related to integral ways of organizing and managing.
Selected Bibliography by Wendelin Küpers:
- (2009) “Perspective on integral ‘Pheno-Pragma-Practice’ in organizations”, International Journal of Management Practice Vol. 3 No. 4 (forthcoming).
- (2008) (with J. Weibler), “Inter-Leadership - Why and How to Think Leader- and Followership Integrally, “ Leadership” Vol 4(4): 443–47.
- (2008) “Inter-S.p(l)aces - Embodied Spaces & Places of and for Leader-/Followership - Phenomenological Perspectives on relational localities & tele-presences of leading and following between im- & displacement, paper for The 7th International Conference on Studying Leadership ‘The Locales of Leadership’, 12/2008, Auckland.
- (2008) “Book review of “Demystifying Organizational Learning” by R. Lipshitz, V. J. Friedman, & M. Popper (2006). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage for “Management Learning” 2008; 39 619-625.
- (2008) ‘Trans-+-Form’ - Leader- & Follower-Ship’ as an embodied, emotional and aesthetic practice of creative transformation”, paper for stream ‘Leadership As An Art: The Embodiment of Creative Thought’, at IV Art of Management Conference Banff Centre, Alberta.
- (2008) (with M. Statler), “Practically Wise Leadership: Towards an Integral Understanding, Culture and Organization” Volume 14, Issue 4 December 2008 , pages 379 – 400.
- (2008) (with M. Edwards) “Integrating Plurality -Towards an Integral Perspective on Leadership and Organisation” In: Wankel, C. (Ed) (2008), Handbook of 21st Century Management: London: Sage, pp. 311-322.
- (2008) “Embodied ‘Inter-Learning’- An Integral Phenomenology of Learning in and by Organizations”, In: “The Learning Organisation: An International Journal, Vol. 15, Issue 5. pp. 388-408.
- (2008) (with J. Weibler), “Emotions in Organization – An Integral Perspective”, “International Journal of Emotion and Work, Vol. 2., No.3, pp. 256-287.
- (2008) “Perspektiven responsiver und integraler Ver-Antwortung in Organisationen und der Wirtschaft (Perspectives on responsive and integral responsibility in Organisations and Economics) In: Heidbrink, L. (Hrsg) (2008), Verantwortung in der Marktwirtschaft, Frankfurt: Campus-Verlag, pp. 307-338.
- (2007) “Integral Pheno-Practice of Wisdom in Management and Organisation”, In: Social Epistemology special issue on Wisdom and Stupidity, (2007), Vol 22:4, 169 - 193.
- (2007) “Integrating Leadership and Followership in Organisations”, In: International Journal of Leadership Studies, Vol. 2 Iss. 3, 2007, pp. 194-221
- (2006) “Motivation und Integration von Individuum und Organisation, (Motivation and Integration of the Individuum and Organisation), In: Laske, S; Meister-Scheytt, C. & Küpers, W. (2006), Management und Organisation von Bildungseinrichtungen, Oldenburg: Waxmann-Verlag, pp. 54 - 103
- (2006) “Integrale Führung von Bildungseinrichtungen, (Integral Leadership in Academic Organisations) In: Laske, S; Meister-Scheytt, C. & Küpers, W. (2005), Management und Organisation von Bildungseinrichtungen, Oldenburg: Waxmann-Verlag, pp. 118-151.
- (2006) “Integrale und authentische Führung“ (Integral and Authentic Leadership), In: Wielens, H. (Hrsg.) (2006) „Führen mit Herz und Verstand – integral und authentisch“, Bielefeld; Band 2 Schriftenreihe Kamphausen-Verlag, pp. 335 – 378.
- (2006) (with J. Weibler) “How emotional is Transformational Leadership really? Some suggestions for a necessary extension in “Leadership and Organization Development Journal” Volume 27, Number 5 (July 2006), pp. 368 – 383.
- (2005) “Phenomenology and Integral Pheno-Practice of Embodied Well-Be(com)ing in Organizations”; In: “Culture and Organization” September 2005, Vol. 11(3), pp. 221–231.
- (2005) “Embodied Implicit and Narrative Knowing in Organizations”, In: Journal of Knowledge Management Volume 9, No 6, 2005, pp. 113-133.
- 2005) “The Art of Inter-Leadership - Integral Leadership and its implication for Leadership Education, Development and Learning”, paper for presentation at EURAM (European Academy of Management) Conference, Track 31 Leadership Challenges in the World of Multiple Realities, Munich, May, 2005 .
- (2004) “Learning Organization and Leadership”, In: Burns, J. M, Goethals, R.R & Sorenson, G. J. (2004), Encyclopaedia of Leadership, Thousand Oaks, CA: (SAGE), pp. 881-886.
- (2004) “Socio-emotional oriented Leadership”, In: Burns, J. M, Goethals, R.R & Sorenson, G. J. (2004), Encyclopaedia of Leadership, Thousand Oaks, CA: (SAGE), pp. 1468-1472.
- (2004) “Art and Leadership”, In: Burns, J. M, Goethals, R.R & Sorenson, G. J. (2004), Encyclopaedia of Leadership, Thousand Oaks, CA: (SAGE), pp. 47-54.